State Transition Testing is software testing performed to check the change in the application’s state under varying input. The condition of input passed is changed, and the state change is observed.
State Transition Testing is a black box testing technique that is carried out to observe the system’s behavior or application for different input conditions passed in a sequence. In this type of testing, both positive and negative input values are provided, and the system’s behavior is observed.
The objective of State Transition testing is:
- To test the behavior of the system under varying input.
- To test the dependency on the values in the past.
- To test the change in the transition state of the application.
- To test the performance of the system.
- Change Mode: When this mode is activated, the display mode moves from TIME to DATE.
- Reset: When the display mode is TIME or DATE, reset mode sets them to ALTER TIME or ALTER DATE, respectively.
- Time Set: When this mode is activated, the display mode changes from ALTER TIME to TIME.
- Date Set: When this mode is activated, the display mode changes from ALTER DATE to DATE.
State Transition Diagram:
State Transition Diagram shows how the system’s state changes on specific inputs.
It has four main components:
- helps in understanding the behavior of the system.
- gives the proper representation of the system behavior.
- covers all the conditions.
- can only be performed in some places.
- is only sometimes reliable.
Watch video tutorial below on State Transition Testing Technique